Navigation List

Friday, October 18, 2019

Soft Baked Gingersnap Cookies

When I made these cookies, I beat together the shortening and the sugar together until fluffy, then beat in the eggs and molasses and added the dry ingredients. I did add a half teaspoon of salt when I added the dry ingredients. I LOVED that this dough was ready to go, it did not need to be chilled at all, probably due to the recipe using shortening. My cookies were done at just over nine minutes. I pulled them off the sheet to cool on the countertop and they turned out absolutely perfect.....like bakery spice cookies!

I think these may now be my favorite cookies...they are sooo good!! They came out lightly crispy on the ousite, soft and chewy on the inside. They had such a good flavor and easy to make. I used real butter instead of shortening, which I softened first, and added 1/4 tsp. of salt along with an extra pinch or two of cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. Delicious!!

The only thing I changed was to use 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup shortening, but I left the rest of the recipe the same. These cookies are wonderful!! I baked them for 8 minutes and they came out perfect. Just barely crunchy on the edges and soft on the inside. The spice ratio was dead on too. I used my cookie scoop and droped the balls into the sugar to coat then put them on parchment paper. They flattened out just enough. I got exactly 3 dozen cookies.


Soft Baked Gingersnap Cookies

INGREDIENTS

½ cup (1 stick or 8 Tbsp) unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1½ tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup molasses
1¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
⅛ tsp ground cloves
⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ cup+ granulated sugar for rolling

INSTRUCTIONS
  • Cream butter and brown sugar together until fluffy. Mix in egg, vanilla, and molasses until completely combined.
  • In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add to wet ingredients until combined. CHILL dough for 2 hours or overnight.
  • Once chilled, roll dough into 1½-inch balls (about 1½ Tbsp each), roll in sugar and place on a silicone lined baking sheet.
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake cookies for 8 to 9 minutes. Keep extra dough cold until it is baked. For a crispier gingersnap, bake a few minutes longer. Allow cookies to rest on the baking sheet for a couple minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container up to 5 days.


Soft Baked Gingersnap Cookies
4/ 5
Oleh