Navigation List

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

THREE CHEESE SCONES

I made these scones for a friend who loves cheese and garlic. As many reviewers suggested, I upped the butter to 6T, used 1/3C cheese instead of 1/4C and used 2/3C of milk. I had no idea what a 3/4 pinch of salt was, so I used 1/8 tsp. I also used 1 garlic clove. I've made other scones and the baking temp was 350, so I used that. It was too low - it took forever to bake them, so I would suggest a 375 or even 400 degree oven. (Maybe it makes a difference that I have a gas stove??) I also used my Bosch bread maker to mix it - that way I wouldn't be handling it much and warming up the dough too much. Worked great. Now, I asked my friend to rate these. She said that she gives it a 5 out of 5. Her suggestions were to use 2 cloves instead of 1 (she couldn't pick up the garlic flavor, she thought it was onion) and maybe use a heaping 1/8 tsp of salt. Other than that, she thought it was great and definitely wants to make more of these. She does not over indulge in food, but even she had a hard time staying out of them. Thanks for this keeper recipe.

The reason why I chose to make this recipe is because it's lower in fat (butter) than the other scone recipes. THe dough is sticky, which I think gave the scones a light consistency after they're baked. I baked mine in a round pan and had no problem shaping the dough.. very delicious and not greasy at all..yum.


THREE CHEESE SCONES


INGREDIENTS

2 cups of flour
1 tbs baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
½ cup of cold butter
2 cold eggs (whisked)
½ cup of buttermilk
½ cup freshly grated Gouda cheese
¼ cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
½ cup of freshly grated Monterrey Jack Cheese (or Asiago)
1 egg white + 2 tsp of water for eggwash
2 tbs minced fresh dill weed for topping

INSTRUCTIONS
  • Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer.
  • Chop the cold butter into small slices and add to the dry ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients and butter until it looks like coarse crumbs.
  • In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and buttermilk together. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture while mixing on low speed. Add the cheeses and keep mixing until just combined.
  • Take the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough a few times (15-20 seconds), until smooth.
  • Pat the dough into a circle that is about ½ inch thick.
  • Preheat the oven to 400 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  • Using a round cookie cutter shape (about 2 inch size), cut out the scone circles. (Don't waste the remaining dough, reshape and cut out more scones.)
  • Whisk the egg white and water for the eggwash. Brush the scones lightly and sprinkle with some dill weed.
  • Bake for 12-14 minutes.


THREE CHEESE SCONES
4/ 5
Oleh