Navigation List

Thursday, June 20, 2019

REAL Raspberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream


I am proud of the word "real". I really don't like and disagree with fake flavors and low-quality extracts. There are great products available that you can use to get a natural, REAL taste in all your baked foods and there is no reason to receive a red and white label at the grocery store.

Of course, my first goal was Amoretti. Between Artisan Natural Flavors, extracts, and compound lines, there is nothing you can do with their REAL taste. But you might not be able to get it on time if you fail to order in advance (ahem ... cough cough ... like I tend to do ...) so you need another game plan.

REAL Swiss Raspberry Meringue Buttercream. Made from real fruit, nothing like this soft, sweet, sour and tasty recipe for SMBC. Print now and keep it useful!
Dried fruit DRY !!! You can find it in most grocery stores, specialty food stores, and Target 🙂 And that's what I use for this REAL Swiss Meringue Buttercream Raspberry. But I added it in an unusual place. Read on ...

I know my ingredients. I know my method. I know food science is more than enough to know that certain things of science will not allow anything we want to bend the rules of physics or chemistry. So I took what I knew and asked the world of science to play well because of what I would do according to the rules.

REAL Swiss Raspberry Meringue Buttercream. Made from real fruit, nothing like this soft, sweet, sour and tasty recipe for SMBC. Print now and keep it useful!
I added a few things to the egg white and sugar before cooking it. Then I tried making it in my mixer.

In general, we know this to be nothing. Only white and sugar. Even the slightest trace of fat or your meringue will not be formed. But if you think about it, there is no fat in the particulates of frozen dried fruit powder. So I still play according to the rules, right? And if I can succeed in adding meringue powder to the sugar before white and then heat and stir, isn't that just an example of foreign particles added to the pre-foam ingredients successfully?

 Ingredients

  • 20 oz sugar
  • 12.6 gr Meringue powder optional, adds extra stability
  • 13 oz Egg whites
  • 32 oz Butter, Unsalted room temp
  • 7 oz Shortening
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla bean paste
  • 1.25 oz package of freeze-dried raspberries, powdered in a spice grinder



 Instructions
Measure all ingredients.

Pulverize to a powder all freeze dried raspberries using a spice / coffee grinder. Be sure they are cleaned well if they use flavors into your fruit.

Whisk sugar, powdered raspberries, and meringue powder together with a stand mixer with the whisk attachment.

Add egg whites to the sugar mixture in the stand mixer bowl.

Heat over boiling water to 135 toF (all sugar should be dissolved) whisking the whole time. *

Using the whip attachment, whisk on high speed for 20 minutes stand mixer or until room temp and firm, glossy peaks.

Change to paddle attachment, set to medium speed and slowly add the shortening in chunks, then butter and vanilla.

Beat till fully incorporated and light in color

Recipe Notes
You need to use freeze dried fruit, not dehydrated. They aren't the same and dehydrated will not work. You can get freeze dried raspberries here: http://amzn.to/2t6maDu

When whisking the egg whites and sugar over boiling water you don't need to foam them. Keeping them is moving to even distribute the heat and keep your whites from coagulating and scrambling.

I use a kitchen scale when I do just about all of my baking. I highly recommend having one as they are the best way to ensure your ingredients are exact every time.

This may seem to "break" at some point, where the butter may look curdled. No worries, keep beating and it comes back together.

To do this with freeze dried peaches as in my Peach Melba cake, use THESE PEACHES and use 2 bags in the standard SMBC recipe above. Peaches have a gentler flavor that is double the amount allowed for fresh peaches POP in your mouth!
REAL Raspberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream
4/ 5
Oleh