Navigation List

Sunday, September 29, 2019

THE BEST DILL PICKLES

My mother and I have made these delectable pickles for Christmas every year since I was young. We separate each batch into smaller jars and give them as gifts to friends and family. I would hate to think what would happen if we skipped a year. I had a blast making these pickles! They are so close to tasting like Tony Packo's Sweet Hots. I made two gallons, one jar cut into spears and the other cut into thick slices.

I like the slices better and they were to my liking after only five days. I am going to experiment with about half the sugar and a little less garlic, next time. The Tabasco is perfect, though. I processed some of the finished pint jars in a boiling water bath for ten minutes so I can keep them longer.



This is similar to a recipe I have used, except we purchased gallon jars of hamburger slices at Sam's instead of having to slice the pickles. As you described, they are dark green, crisp and yummy. Everyone loves them. My recipe calls them "cheater pickles." We packaged them in small containers with a red plaid ribbon for Christmas gifts. A big hit! 


THE BEST DILL PICKLES
4/ 5
Oleh